Culture · Cognition · Communication
(Inter)cultural perspectives on language and the mind
The Departments of Cognitive Linguistics and Cultural Linguistics at the Institute of English, Maria Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin (UMCS), are pleased to announce the Culture • Cognition • Communication conference series aimed to offer researchers of different persuasions a convenient forum for sharing ideas and discussing issues concerning the relation between culture, cognition and language from a range of scholarly viewpoints.
(Inter)cultural perspectives on language and the mind (ICPLM 2017) is aimed to be the first conference of the series. In adopting an interdisciplinary slant on the interface between culture, language and the mind, the conference is designed to foster academic co-operation across diverse fields of humanistic studies.
Date: 14-15 September 2017
Venue: The Faculty of Humanities UMCS in Lublin Languages: English (preferred), Polish
- Enrique Bernárdez (Universidad Complutense de Madrid)
- Władysław Chłopicki (Jagiellonian University)
- Henri De Jongste (Dortmund University of Applied Sciences and Arts)
- Piotr Francuz (John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin)
- Magdalena Rembowska-Płuciennik (Institute of Literary Research of the PolishAcademy of Sciences)
Submission of abstracts
We are interested in research concerning the following areas of academic research:
- language and cognition
- language and (visual) culture
- language and society
- translation theory
- embodiment and sociocultural situatedness
- multimodality and intermediality
Suggested topics for discussion may pertain to:
- cognitive pragmatics
- relevance theory, discourse studies and the pragmatics of humour
- cognitive approaches to literature
- cognitive approaches to translation and/or specialist languages
- the word/image interplay and intersemiotic translation
- iconicity and creativity
- conceptual metaphor and metonymy
- mental spaces and conceptual blendingWhile we invite all papers concerned with the problem of whether (and, if so, how) recent developments in cognitive science may inform current debates concerning the interplay between culture, cognition, and language, other abstract submissions concerning topics related to the issues of verbal and non-verbal communication are also welcome.
The languages of the conference are English (preferred) and Polish. Each paper will be allowed 30 minutes (20 minutes for the presentation, 10 minutes for discussion).
All abstracts (max. 350 words, 4-5 keywords, references, if any) should be submitted via the registration form (below) by 2 April 2017. The abstracts will be reviewed anonymously. Please make sure your abstract does not include any details that might indicate its author. Your will be notified about the acceptance/ rejection of your abstract by 30 April 2017.
Please submit your abstract by accessing the registration form available at the conference website: www.cognition.umcs.pl.
Conference fee and registration
- early-bird (by 1 June 2017): 350 PLN / 90 EUR
- regular (by 20 June 2017): 400 PLN / 100 EURPhD students:
- early-bird (by 1 June 1 2017): 300 PLN / 80 EUR
- regular (by 20 June 2017): 350 PLN / 90 EURThe conference fee covers conference materials, tea and coffee during the conference, as well as the costs of the post-conference publication.
Uniwersytet Marii Curie-Skłodowskiej Plac Marii-Curie Skłodowskiej 5 20-031 Lublin
mBank SA O/Lublin
ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 6 20-002 Lublin
Bank account for payment in PLN: 57 1140 1094 0000 2905 1600 1134
Title of transfer: “Umysł Kultura Komunikacja” Bank account for payment in EUR:
PL78 1140 1094 0000 2905 1600 1047
SWIFT CODE: BREXPLPWLUB
Bank Code: 11401094
Title of transfer: “Umysł Kultura Komunikacja”
Please note the following:
- invoices can only be issued to the person or the institution indicated as the payer. Therefore, if the invoice is to be issued to your home institution, please note that the payment should not be made using your personal account. Please make payment via your home institution.
- your invoice will be issued on receipt of the registration fee. You can receive the invoice after the fee has been registered at the conference account.
- you can collect the invoice during the conference. We can also send it by post. In the latter case, please let us know about your preference in advance.Registration form is available here.
Should you have any enquiries about the conference, please contact the organisers by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Joanna Jabłońska-Hood, PhD, Department of Cognitive Linguistics, UMCS
- Katarzyna Stadnik, PhD, Department of Cultural Linguistics, UMCSConference website
For more information, including news, Scientific Committee, and post -conference publication, please visit the conference website: www.cognition.umcs.pl.